Tips for Avoiding Dental Cavities in Children
Dental cavities in children lead to unhappy visits to the dentist’s office. Fortunately, you can prevent child tooth decay by starting good dental care habits early in life. The American Dental Association (ADA) offers great advice for preventing cavities in children of all ages. The following helpful tips can ensure that your kids have a healthy dental care routine that will brighten their smiles for a lifetime.
Infants, Toddlers, and Preschoolers
- Use a moistened gauze pad to clean your baby’s gums after feeding.
- When teeth first appear, use a child’s soft toothbrush and plain water to clean them.
- Supervise your children until they can brush without swallowing toothpaste.
- Use only a pea-sized amount of fluoride toothpaste.
- Floss daily when teeth grow close enough to touch each other.
- Begin dental check-ups at one year of age.
Older Children and Adolescents
- Brush your child’s teeth twice a day and help them floss until they are six or seven years old; at this age, begin to teach them to brush their own teeth. You may need to supervise them until they are about 10 years old.
- Teach your older children about the dangers of poor food and beverage choices, oral piercings, and tobacco use.
- Ask your dentist in Mount Dora about dental sealants, which are plastic coatings that are applied in areas where child tooth decay commonly starts.
- Remind your kids and adolescents of the importance of good oral hygiene.
- Purchase a mouth guard for kids involved in sports.
- Make regular visits to your dentist in to make sure that your child’s oral hygiene routine is effective.
To learn about our family dentistry practice in Mount Dora, call Advanced Dental Care of Mount Dora today at (352) 729-3668 or make an appointment.
Advanced Dental Care offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Mount Dora. With 21 affiliated practices throughout Florida, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Advanced Dental Care of Mount Dora, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Advanced Dental Care of Mount Dora.