Dealing with a Sensitive Issue – Causes of Tooth Sensitivity
If you have sensitive teeth, something as ordinary as drinking an iced beverage or chewing a piece of candy can be agonizing. The problem is so common it’s a leading reason behind urgent dental care visits. If tooth sensitivity is affecting your quality of life, find a qualified, affordable dentist in Mount Dora immediately. The treatment for sensitive teeth often depends on the underlying causes. Following are the most common causes of tooth sensitivity.
What Causes Teeth to Become Sensitive?
- Tooth decay is a leading cause of sensitivity to hot, cold, and sweet foods. Your dentist in Mount Dora can treat any decayed teeth with fillings, root canals, or extractions.
- Broken, cracked, and worn teeth can also cause sensitivity because of the exposure of the tooth’s nerves. Restoration is often possible with fillings, crowns, or root canals.
- An uneven bite places pressure on some teeth, which can also cause sensitivity. Your family dentistry expert can correct the problem by adjusting the bite.
- Sometimes poor dental care is to blame, such as brushing with a medium or firm toothbrush. Brushing too hard and vigorously also can damage gums and teeth.
- Desensitizing toothpaste may resolve mild tooth sensitivity.
- Acid-containing foods and beverages like citrus fruits and sodas can dissolve tooth enamel. Eliminating acidic foods and drinks and using desensitizing toothpaste typically help to relieve tooth sensitivity.
- Medical issues that are unrelated to the teeth can cause tooth sensitivity. These include muscular neck or face pain, sinus infections, or TMJ syndrome. Gastric reflux and eating disorders can also contribute to sensitive teeth.
Prevention Is the Best Cure
Preventing tooth sensitivity is much easier than treating it, so if you have symptoms of sensitive teeth, see your dentist in Mount Dora immediately to address any contributing issues. If you correct the causes early, you may be able to avoid future expensive dental care.
To get the dental care you deserve from an affordable dentist in Mount Dora, call Advanced Dental Care of Mount Dora today at (352) 729-3668 or make an appointment.
Advanced Dental Care offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Mount Dora. With 21 affiliated practices throughout Florida, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Advanced Dental Care of Mount Dora, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Advanced Dental Care of Mount Dora.