Seven Reasons You Have Halitosis
When dentists talk about halitosis, they’re referring to bad breath. If this problem is plaguing you, learn the most frequent causes and how to make your breath much better.
- Bad Oral Hygiene Habits – If you don’t brush and floss every day, bacteria collects on your teeth and develops into plaque. This can cause deep pockets in your gums where bacteria can hide and produce bad breath. Yet good oral hygiene can help you avoid the issue.
- Lingering Food Particles – When food particles remain in your mouth, they breed bacteria, which causes a very bad odor. Also, certain pungent foods such as garlic and onions leave a lasting mark on your breath. But good oral hygiene allows you to remove those bits of food and avoid the bad breath they cause.
- Post-Op Oral Infections – Surgical wounds after dental procedures can also cause bad breath. That’s because these wounds can draw odorous bacteria. If you have any wounds following a dental procedure, see an affordable dentist right away to help you heal the injuries.
- Dry Mouth – Saliva rinses away the bacteria and food in your mouth. If you don’t produce enough saliva, these particles remain and lead to halitosis. This is a common condition known as dry mouth.
- Medications – Some medications can result in bad breath by contributing to dry mouth. Be sure to discuss your medications with an affordable dentist to see if they’re affecting your breath.
- Medical Problems – Did you know some diseases cause odorous chemicals that leave a bad taste in your mouth and bad mark on your breath? These include certain cancers, some metabolic disorders, and acid reflux disease. And severe nasal and throat infections can also lead to halitosis. Ask a family dentistry expert if your medial situation may be harming your breath.
- Smoking and Tobacco Use – Tobacco produces a very strong odor, as well as increases your risk of gum disease and other medical conditions that can leave your breath very bad. If you smoke, you need to stop to save both your breath and your health.
To learn about our family dentistry practice in Mount Dora, call Advanced Dental Care of Mount Dora today at (352) 729-3668 or make an appointment.
Advanced Dental Care offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Mount Dora. With 20 affiliated practices throughout Florida, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Advanced Dental Care of Mount Dora, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Advanced Dental Care of Mount Dora.